Attention filmmakers: we invite you to submit your work for consideration for the sixth season of CinemaKC. Viewership has grown dramatically in recent years; and to address our expanding audience, we’re extending the submission range to the entirety of Missouri, Kansas, and beyond.
The submission deadline is August 1, 2016 by 11:59 PM CDT. There is no submission fee.
CinemaKC‘s sixth season will air on local PBS-affiliate KCPT (channel 19 in Kansas City, MO) beginning January, 2017. Seasons one through three can be found at CinemaKC.com.
Offering viewers a short-film festival every week, the show will consist of films selected by CinemaKC’s Programming Committee. In Kansas City, CinemaKC will run in four cycles throughout 2017 and be featured on our website. The show is also broadcast to stations throughout the Midwest and has an even larger range via cable providers and in syndication. In effect, this is a GRAND opportunity for you and your work to be seen and appreciated.
Please consider the following before submitting your film:
- All films are eligible, but we prefer your latest and greatest work. If selected, you might be asked to provide additional work for consideration.
- Films previously submitted for consideration—but not selected—are eligible.
- Although we prefer premieres of films that have not been broadcast before and give special consideration to such, we still consider all works submitted.
- Films shown at private screenings not open to the public (for crew, investors, etc.) are eligible.
- Films not in English should include English subtitles.
- All entries must be accompanied by a signed copy of the CinemaKC release form. Entrants must confirm their ownership or fair use of all music and images submitted. CinemaKC retains the right to broadcast all submitted material.
- All submissions must include private links to downloadable, broadcast-quality (see “Format Guidelines” below) files via a streaming service like YouTube or Vimeo. If you’d like to submit via DVD or Blu-ray, we will happily accept physical copies. You can find our address below.
- Only complete entries that include the appropriate release form and link will be considered. The signed release form can be attached as a scanned image file or a photo of the signed document.
Too meet contemporary broadcast standards, all files submitted must be delivered in the following format:
- Type: H.264 (.mov)
- Image size: 1920×1080
- Frame rate: 29.97 fps
- Source audio format: 48000 Hz (either 16- or 32-bit stereo)
- Note: while we prefer entries to be delivered in the above specifications, we will also consider 4K and H.264 files with 1280×720 resolution.
SHIPPING (for physical copies only)
The cost of shipping an entry to CinemaKC must be paid by the entrant. Collect or COD shipments will not be accepted. All international entries must be sent “free domicile” to the CinemaKC office with all transportation charges, duties, and taxes prepaid by the shipper.
JUDGING AND SELECTION
Submissions are selected by the CinemaKC Programming Committee. If a work is selected for screening, the CinemaKC office will contact the entrant by phone or email. All entrants will be notified on or before October 31, 2016.
Like all broadcast television, KCPT and CinemaKC must meet FCC standards for content deemed obscene, indecent, or profane. Here is a guideline of prohibited content:
- NO nudity or mock objects.
- NO profanity. Per the FCC, this is defined as “language that is so grossly offensive to members of the public who hear it as to amount to a nuisance” and is “sexual or excretory in nature or derived from such terms.” Note: occasional profanity can be “bleeped;” this prohibition applies only to content with repeated and continuous use.
- NO explicit or semi-explicit sexual acts or innuendo for such acts.
- NO explicit violence.
To showcase as many local films as possible in the time allotted, CinemaKC asks that all submissions adhere to the following length restrictions:
- Narrative, documentary, and animated: no longer than 15 minutes and no shorter than 2 minutes.
- Music videos: no longer than 4 minutes.
CinemaKC gives special consideration to submissions that meet the following criteria:
- Works with no prior broadcast, web, or festival exposure.
- Works that feature or focus on local subjects.
- Filmmakers residing, shooting, and/or filming in the region.
- Submissions that include additional audio-visual content, such as behind-the-scenes or making-of featurettes.
- Works with exceptional production values (script, acting, lighting, sound, etc.) that represent the professionalism of our city’s filmmaking community.
HOW TO SUBMIT YOUR FILM
To submit your film for consideration, please send an email that includes the following to submissions@CinemaKC.com:
- Title of work
- A broadcast-quality link to your movie in the format specified above
- Your name
- Your email address and/or phone number
- A signed copy of the CinemaKC release form attached as a scanned image file or a photo of the signed document
(Note: only submissions that include all of the information listed above will be considered.)
Physical copies can be delivered to:
3013 Main Street
Kansas City, MO 64108
We look forward to seeing your work and welcoming you to CinemaKC!